Sump Pumps Services
Living on the beautiful California coast is a great privilege, with all the temperate weather and beautiful sunny vistas. But with great views and weather comes great responsibility, as living on the California coast means that you have to deal with the ocean and all of its unpredictable power and climate effects. A sump pump is a great tool to mitigate the potential water and sewer line issues caused by a high-tide flood or an El Niño-type extreme storm. But if your sump pump isn’t working or hasn’t been used in a while, it might not provide the service you need, when you need it. If you have a sump pump, it’s probably a good time to have it cleaned and inspected by your local plumber. If you don’t, now is the perfect time to talk to your plumber near San Jose about a sump pump installation, and how Cupertino Plumbing might be able to help with that.
How a Sump Pump Can Save Your Home
Flooding rains and even plumbing leaks can cause water to accumulate quickly in your basement. While you can turn off your water main to halt a major plumbing issue, the increased water levels and flow from a tropical storm or an aggressive tide might still cause some flooding and oversaturation in parts of your property. Installing a sump pump is one of the very best ways to protect your home from flooding caused by this excessive rain. Here is how they work:
- Sump pumps are set in a sump pit, which absorbs water from the surrounding ground. When normal drainage is not sufficient, the pit begins to fill, which activates the sump pump. The appliance then actively pumps water out of your home before it can cause a flood.
- A sump pump will activate whether you are home or not, and also whether you are awake or not. This provides consistent, round-the-clock protection against flooding for your home, especially when storms can occur at any time.
- Your sump pump can be hooked up to an alternate power source, such as an emergency battery, to ensure it continues working even if the power in your home goes out.
Maintaining Your Sump Pump
Because you rely on your sump pump to protect your home from floods, it’s important to maintain this essential piece of plumbing equipment. Your plumbing service can help you by providing information and assistance to keep your sump pump running at peak capacity.
- Have your plumber check and clean your sump pump at least once a year. If you haven’t had your sump pump checked yet this year, now is a good time to schedule a maintenance visit.
- You can test your sump pump by adding water to your sump pit to activate the pump. Watch to make sure the pump runs properly, then shuts off when the additional water is gone — if there is a problem, call your plumbing service immediately.
A sump pump can be a home-saver, and because of that, you need to be able to rely on it during an extreme storm or flood warnings. Don’t wait until water levels are rising to confirm the effective functioning of your sump pump – make sure by scheduling a routine maintenance appointment with Cupertino Plumbing. You can find out more about installing or maintaining your sump pump for your San Jose home to enhance your home’s drainage system and prevent flooding by contacting Cupertino Plumbing or calling us at (408) 335-0617 today.